Thursday, July 28, 2005

Bloody Blog

I started my blog to just dump ideas and suddenly I'm trying to think of what to put in it. So far I have an audience of one (... Hi Dru....) and already i'm trying to think of how to make it interesting. So I'm just gonna chill out and stop thinking about it...it's a blog I'm allowed to write crap.

The thing that has been occupying my mind is whether or not you need goals. Sounds simple doesn't it. I was finding my life..... well... a tad boring. Just to give you a bit of background, I spent most of my Uni life moving from share house to share house, new people all the time, new books and ideas constantly flowing through and around me. After Uni things still flowed and changed constantly.... different girls, houses, books and ideas. Fast forward over the last few years. I'm married, own a house and have had a good job. I've got the things that you are suppose to have in this modern society, but still I was finding myself a bit bored with it all. This is not to say that I want to change what I have... I've got a great wife, house and job but I need something to spark up the brain and get me a bit more interested in stuff again. The first step in my plan to enjoy life more involved getting my open water scuba license. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to get my dive license. I had a friend with the same goal so we both got our dive licenses. I had this feeling I'd missed for a while.... excitement and novelty. Actually achieving something was a great feeling. Work achievements just don't match the feeling of achievement you get from doing something you want to do.


So I set myself some more goals, give up smoking, meditate, pop in and visit my friends more regularly. So far (well the last few days) it's been fun having goals.
I was talking to my boss about it and he was completely mystified as to why you would want to plan any goals. In his words “You go to work then go home and do the things that you do”. For me if i don't think about it...I'll turn to beer and xbox to keep me amused. Fun in the short term but no basis for life. Without joining the resistance, art collective or blogging community you have less to talk about, less to keep your brain going. Don't let the bastards win!


The other thing is this blog. Why do people blog anyway (or more interesting why would you read them... don't get me wrong, I read em too). For me I'm just interested in what people think about and what they talk about. In case you haven't realised i love finding out what is going on in peoples heads.


2 comments:

takinchances said...

Hello Uncle Doo

I digg ur blog and have found myself wondering about goals myself. If you read me, I'll read you. Deal?

Anonymous said...

My life isn't bad either, but I get bored with it. Then if this is all life is, as your boss says, go to work, go home, go to work... then I don't think I want to do it much longer.

Not long ago , just as you, I felt the call to wake up. Life is what you make of it; I made my boring life, and I can change it. As is said, bored people are boring.