Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Plot help for Nanowrimo

As mentioned in the previous post I only joined nano yesterday so I'm a bit behind the eightball. I spent yesterday afternoon developing a plot outline. My problem was getting a bit of flesh on the skeleton. I pulled out a tarot deck and drew a card to give me a starting point for each chapter. It also give me a good idea of what would go in there.

This method worked like a charm and introduced some interesting randomness to the whole thing.

If any blockages turn up I'm going straight to the deck, there is no time to wait for inspiration to hit.
Tags:
Tags:

2 comments:

Edmund Yeo said...

Hm. Pretty interesting method. Kinda reminds me of Italo Calvino's Castle of Crossed Destinies, where various people pulled out tarot cards and then telling their own tales based on the card they drew.

Uncle Doo said...

There was a Piers Anthony Trilogy called God of Tarot where the chapters were all named after tarot cards. It was set on a planet where mental focus brought about physical manifestations of spiritual things. The initial surveyors of this world had a corpse with ten swords appear while they were playing cards with a tarot deck (hence the planet was called tarot). I think that was where I found the idea to use the deck to keep things flowing.