Wednesday, November 30, 2005

There has been dust gathering on my blog


I tried to get my 50K words done in the three weeks that I had available but I failed in my mission. It seems as soon as I set myself a goal then all manner of time sucking things latch onto my back. I could give you the list but that would just sound like excuses (does this sound like an excuse?). I could have gotten it done if I pulled some all nighters but that would have fucked with my head.

The good thing is, the experience has gotten me hot to keep writing this particular book. I’ve extend my personal 50k goal out until the end of December.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the nature of long term relationships (which happens to be the topic of the novel) particularly how to have a successful one. The trouble is you usually need a severe kick to the head to get you moving. I’ve come to the conclusion that it has more to do with how you feel about yourself than it does about the other person in the relationship. If you both sort your own shit out, things just seem to flow a bit better. This is the list I have come up with to make my life a better one.

1. I’m happiest when I have my own little creative side projects – but only when I don’t give a shit about quality. If I care about quality then I start to feel pressure.

2. you need to keep accepting opportunities as they come up, it’s way too easy to stay in your comfort zone all the time. Do you want your life to be exactly like it is now…. Right up until the day you die?

3. If you don’t live a little, your relationship will die. No fun, no point

4. There is more to life than work and television. Run around like a mad thing if that is what floats your boat.

5. Just chill out some of the time, you don’t need to be doing stuff in every spare minute. To really do nothing is harder than you think.

6. You don’t need to think about things so much. Ahhhhh I’m thinking too much about this, but I’m doing it for fun so it is OK (see number 5).

7. Do things that society doesn’t accept – live on the edge, make crap art, make up stories about yourself, tell the truth when you think you shouldn’t, break something or blog about your imaginary life.

8. Try something, even though you know you will fail at it

9. make up a list like you know what you are talking about, it makes you feel life you have some sort of control ;-)

10. Don’t compare with others, sometimes it may look all shiny on the outside but be rotten to the core.

When I talk about creativity here I mean something you are interested in that makes you think, it could be anything, not just some ‘accepted art’.

That’s enough for now. I need to ease you all back into my life.
Tags:
Tags:
Tags:

2 comments:

Dru said...

I appreciate your list. It is strange how 'fun' projects turn into quality pressure and you have to keep easing up on yourself. Like your hand grip on the chair when the dentist is cleaning your teeth.

You have 1 month, goooood luck.

Uncle Doo said...

That was the one thing that really stopped me from expressing myself in any 'artistic' format.... the pressure to make something that was 'good'. once you give up on quality it is easy.

I will need some luck.... just to keep the decks clear enough to get some time to write.asp