Thursday, August 11, 2005

How to be aware of your life.

Last night I realised just how much of my time was spent thinking about things that had nothing to do with the next thirty minutes of my existence. All my mental space was being devoted to the past or to the future. How about sparing some mental cycles for my current time and space?

Is it bad to have unrealistic daydreams... I'm always thinking of how to make my life better. I keep looking for a little more of this or a little more of that.... if I could just do this or that, then my life would be perfect.


Thinking like that is a complete waste of time and energy.


I've decided to try a little experiment. When by brain is off floating around I'm not going to dwell on the past or scheme into the future (pleasant day dreams I'll keep up). I'm gonna look at what I can do now or think purely for enjoyment (not with a goal).

The only trouble with this plan is when something interesting appears my brain runs around like an excited puppy and is off the lead before i can say 'boo'. Someone makes an offhanded comment about me and I'll end up thinking about it for a few hours.

I'm going to start the experiment now.... oh look a bright shiny thing
Tags:
Tags:

No comments: