Monday, August 01, 2005

So this is where I'm at


Personal responsibility, appropriate living is a fine balance. For me I can keep to the straight and narrow for a week , could be two but I eventually fall into some sort of binge activity be it drink, smokes or other. I like the idea of healthy living but at the same time the reality just doesn’t stimulate me. It’s like writing. The idea appeals, I want to do it but I seem to just scribble a bit then stop and move onto another topic. The novel is stalled at around 20 000 words and the rest doesn’t come. In my mind I have the ideas but the will and commitment leave me wanting. Writing is something I’ve always wanted to do but I have this dream linked to success. Success means making a living out of it, but it also requires a leap of faith which I haven’t undertaken to date. It is a fight with my sense of self at the end of the day. I think I’m 22, free to do as I please but in reality I’m 32, married with mortgage and doubtful of my capabilities. Am I grasping at a half imagined future of a younger me or should I accept that my life is not heading in that direction and get on with the life I have? If I’m true to form it will be a half assed go hard attitude for a week before the grind of daily living gets to me and I revert to a tv watching, computer game head.


The topics I want to cover include sex, adventure, nostalgic pasts where everyone flies planes, survivalist horror or dark futures. My efforts seem to oscillate between the tragically weird and the already done. What I need to write is a sexy, nostalgic future with survivalist horror elements that shatters the nostalgic future into a darker future. Easy. The only trouble is that each added element will take from the others if I’m not careful. Who wants their dreams turned to dust, but if I could find the thread to tie it together it just might work. Does this mean novel take 3 or short stores that satisfy my needs.
Tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm at the same place as you.

I think you should keep practicing your craft of writing.